This is our story on trying to start a family, Hoping for a happy ending

Our path to parenthood that lead to IVF/ICSI & a WHOLE lot more

Saturday 28 January 2012

Over the moon thank's to an amazing Angel finding us

We are over the moon - thanks to our Angel

The timing of things can really be unbelievable at times, just when things seem impossible something incredible happens.

On 17 Jan H & I had our appointment with the fertility clinic nurses to go through the whole donor egg process, how it works & all the info you needed. It was a very overwhelming overload of info during the course of 1.5 hours that left H & I with our heads spinning.

While sitting there with the nurse, I happened to gaze out the window and observe the wet, gloomy day & it struck me. It was approx 3 years ago we had sat in this office with a nurse on a day just like this, going through all the info to start IVF & how it would be the answer to our prayers. I became very upset that 3 years on, here we were with no family & now going down a path neither of us had imagined. I had made posts on several websites seeking an egg donor angel since early Dec 2011 when Dr J advised that was the next step to make. I'd had no responses or even any questions.

Realising it was 3 years & all the info the clinic had provided made it seem like finding a donor was going to be quite hard, my emotions just built up and when we left the appointment & H was going to get the car I started crying and couldn't stop. I felt, sad, angry, frustrated but most of all scared we would never have a chance to have the family we want so badly.

This turned into a very bad anxiety attack and H drove me home & decided to work from home that day just to be around to support me. When the dust had settled I was then very mad at myself for being as I perceive it 'being weak' and getting that upset. The following day we happened to already have an appointment with Dr K booked and it was great timing to be able to go in & talk about how I was feeling. Dr K reassured me I was not 'weak' & that I was coping very well. It was nice to be given some coping advice and also to be told your fears & reactions to this type of stress are totally NORMAL.

I got home from the appointment feeling pretty drained as talking about everything got me (obviously) very emotional again & H and I had a big discussion later that day about our hopes of finding an egg donor and doing our best to stay positive & hope for a miracle. Exhausted & with a headache from 2 days of crying on & off I went to bed & crashed.

I woke up about 9pm & had some late dinner with H, while he was getting it I checked my emails & couldn't believe what was in my in box - it was an email from a young woman saying she had completed her family and would love to help us by being our donor & were we interested and where to from here as this is the first time she's been a donor. I literally screamed at H to come & read the email & we of course replied straight away.

I went to sleep that afternoon (without trying to sound too dramatic) exhausted & in the depths of despair and then I woke up to find a MIRACLE in my in box.

For the next few day's we exchanged email's (lots of them) our Angel has read this blog and was lovely to email with (with a great sense of humour!) I keep the blog anonymous so I hope our Angel doesn't mind she will just be called Angel (you know who you are lovely!) This amazing woman is in her mid 20's and has two darling's of her own under 3. She has wanted to be a donor since she was 19 but Dr's recommend you have completed your own family before becoming a donor. She understands the need for donors due to a friend needing a sperm donor to have her family I'll quote from one of her emails:  "I have a close friend that has needed a sperm donor for all of her babies, and thank goodness there are donors otherwise she would never have had her family, and this chick was born to have a tribe of kids LOL, I'm so happy I can help, its making me smile all day at the moment."

After lots of emails,info & photo's being exchanged we are thrilled and can't believe this one has chosen us to be the first couple she donates too. Everything from the first email has fallen into place perfectly and we both keep saying it's really like this is meant to be & it's the perfect fit!

So our Angel lives in another state and to start the process for her to officially become our donor the first things that need to happen are:

H & I have a counselling appointment which is scheduled for Mon 30 Jan , we also had an appointment with Dr J booked for 2 Feb which we made back in December.

Our Angel needs to come up with her other half and:

Have a 1 hour appointment with Dr J
A range of blood tests (sorry in advance hon!!)
An hour long session with the fertility clinic nurses
An hour long session with the counsellor



Once all the appointments on 6 Mar are completed, there is a mandatory 2 week 'cooling off' period for our Angel.  (this is a government/law requirement). Once the 2 weeks is up, all four of us have to attend a counselling session all together (to make life easier the counsellor has already agreed that we can do this session without them having to fly up again, they can phone in and join the session via speakerphone whilst we are present). We need to check, but I think there may possibly be another few weeks cooling off period - either way once all this is done our gorgeous Angel & I can start our first donor cycle together.

Talk about the kindness of strangers, a huge heart & the most amazing gift a person can ever give to another. We can't thank her enough already for just offering to do this for us.

Exciting, hopeful & happy times ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Such amazing news! To your angel, congratulations. Your generosity shines through the joy on the page. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited and happy for you both!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...